Thursday, October 30, 2008

Chuck Close, his art and Big Bird



For the longest time I had a Can Do! People page featuring artist Chuck Close on the Can Do! Web site.... but discovered the other day it was missing. I have no idea if I took it down for some reason, or if it was inadvertently removed, but I added it back the other day when I was poking around Hulu.com and found this great Sesame Street video clip of Chuck Close with Big Bird.

One reason I really like this clip (besides the kids voices - adorable!) is because it shows Close's art from two different perspectives - up close, and then from a distance. It's a great metaphor about how things aren't always what they seem - sometimes we need to stand back and look situations in a different way. It's also a great metaphor for how people are more than the individual details of their life... rather, people are the whole of those parts. And even greater than that!

No comments: