Saturday, August 9, 2008

Climbing To Great Heights

I was digging through a box of old photos my Mother recently gave me, and found this one of me up in a tree with my siblings... probably around 1973. I'm the one in yellow to the right. The tree was in our back yard, and one we loved to climb. There was something very satisfying and rewarding about climbing a tree. It didn't matter if I managed to get up there on my own, or if someone had to give me a boost - as long as I could get up to sit on even the lowest branch, I felt a great sense of accomplishment... it made me feel as if I could do anything. What a wonderful place to be!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love this picture, Maribeth! As I child, I had the same affinity for trees. It reminds me of the book, Last Child in the Woods, and the point it makes - that most children today don't play outside. They don't explore and climb trees and build forts. I think children are more passionate about protecting our environment when they get outside and connect with it.